The B4 School Check service is on hold currently due to the Covid 19 pandemic.
Any queries about this service can be directed to Nicola Metcalfe on 0800 775 001.
The B4 School Check (B4SC) is a free, nationwide health check for all four year olds.
Frequently Asked Questions about B4SC
Who is the B4SC for?
All the children who have turned 4, who live in the Whanganui Health District.
When is the best time for my child to complete the B4SC?
As soon as your child celebrates their 4th birthday. This allows time for any referrals to be completed before the child starts school.
Why does my child need a B4SC?
Each child should have this to check to ensure that they are ready and able to learn to the best of their ability when they start school.
Where will the check be done?
The B4 School Check will be delivered at your General Practice or at a community clinic. We have a drop-in clinic onsite every Tuesday from 9.30am to 5pm (except for the two Tuesdays over the Christmas / New Year period or if it is a public holiday) or other dates and times can be arranged by request. Please call 0800 775 001.
Who will do the check?
In the Whanganui District, the service will be delivered by General Practice nurses in conjunction with Whanganui Regional Health Network (WRHN). Practice nurses are trained to be experts in child health and development. The WRHN also offers clinics in alternate community settings in the city and rural areas.
What do I need to do?
- Contact your usual GP (link in here to the GP’s and their contact numbers) to make an appointment or the WRHN B4SC team on 0800 775 001, to arrange a convenient time and alternate location for your appointment.
- Prepare to spend approximately 45 minutes with the nurse discussing your child’s health and development, and having the health and wellbeing check.
- The hearing and vision screening may be done at a separate time and this will be discussed with you when you make the B4SC appointment.
What if I have any questions?
Contact the Whanganui Regional Health Network child health team:
- Toll free on 0800 775 001 (free from landline or mobile) or
- Nicola Metcalfe: direct dial (06) 954 2075, mobile 021 242 5055, email firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Lucia or Pau (if you need to converse in Samoan they can help): phone (06) 348 0109 ext 724
Further information is also available on the Ministry of Health website at http://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/services-and-support/health-care-s...